The past thirty days feels like 90 days. I keep looking at the calendar and reminding myself it’s only been one month. The fastest January, ever.
This past month has been homework, reading, homework, reading, homework, writing, homework, also I need to run!
I might have actually kept several of my goals? Except for running. Don’t talk about that, ok?
Other random thought – I keep changing the font on my graphics. I waffle back and forth between Brusher and the thinner font. I *think* I might have finally made up my mind, but things may change again.
I actually read alot?? 9 whole books? I’m super surprised! Goodreads reviews linked to the book titles.
- Strange the Dreamer – Still saying WOW! about this book nearly a full month after reading it. Please, go read it now! And why is the sequel taking so long???
- A Darker Shade of Magic – First V.E. Schwab book I’ve ever read. Lived up to the hype. Ready to check out the 2nd book from the library.
- The Forbidden Book – Jane Austen YA retelling. Alright, not fantastic. But not terrible. Kind of creepy and cute.
- Furyborn – Super hyped book, but I wasn’t getting the hype. Also, ARC read. Full review coming closer to the release date.
- Illuminae – WOWOWOWOWOW. I’m reading Gemina in February in time for the 3rd book release in March. Smart choice, I know.
- The Hazel Wood – Terrible. I’ve already ranted, so just skip.
- A Torch Against the Night – Why did I torture myself? I’m still heartbroken for these darling characters. And I have to wait till March for the next book???? Why so much pain?
- The Cruel Prince – The Cruel Prince is beyond cruel. It is mesmerizing and intense and heartbreaking all at once. Full review coming soon!
- Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters – I really didn’t think I was going to get to a Rick Riordan book this month, but I managed to! I’m definitely hooked on Camp Halfblood and Percy Jackson now.
A Torch Against the Night, A Darker Shade of Magic, Strange the Dreamer, The Forbidden Book, The Cruel Prince, City of Bones 10th Anniversary Edition, Lady Midnight & Lord of Shadows, Crooked Kingdom, The Raven Boys
Most of these came from the December Amazon book sale, so I didn’t spend an entire fortune.
And The Cruel Prince came in January’s Owlcrate. So happy to receive a signed edition!
I wrote 22,ooo words this month. By the middle of the month I had only written about 8,000 words, but last weekend I wrote over 10,000 words in 2 days. I wasn’t expecting to be able to write this much, but the story really flowed.
Part of the reason the story is flowing so well, is some new changes to the story. There’s now two perspectives telling the story. My main character, Darcy is still a narrator. And I’ve also added in a Fae character, Brendan.
What’s so unique about having these two as narrators is while they will work together, they aren’t romantically interested in each other. Makes for fun, different writing.
Here’s a short part from Brendan’s POV
“What are they saying among the guards, Brendan. What did you hear?”
Not much, but I don’t answer that. A life at court, I know what my queen wants to hear, “Rumors, majesty. Rumors of a mortal who could taste true magic. A mortal who suffers magic acutely.”
My words hang in the air, and I glance at my queen’s face. Her eyes are narrowed, but she’s not looking at me. I hold my breath, hoping the answer is sufficient. I can’t imagine she wants me to repeat what the men are saying, the story I heard. How my Queen’s face drained of color, that she ran from the throne room. Left the mortal girl in a puddle of tears and vomit.
My queen has faced invasions, desertions, betrayal. Most long before my own time, some even before my father led the winged battalions.
My queen would not run from a mortal.
I don’t believe that rumor. An exaggeration, perhaps. A whisper of truth behind a veil of craftiness. Our Fae version of a lie.
I also worked on making aesthetics for my story. I’ve made several character aesthetics and I *might* be sharing them in a blog post in February.
Other big news about this story – I finally settled on a title! I’m pretty picky about choosing names, and this title just came together so well.
I’m calling the story Hearts of Clay and Tempest (HOCAT for short)
Current HOCAT word count – 47, 246
Remember my January blogging goals? I don’t! Well actually, I looked them up, and surprise, surprise, I mostly kept them!
- Read 5 books – Actually read 8!
- Write 3 book reviews – I wrote 2 + a set of mini reviews
- Keep up with my blogging schedule – Who am I anymore? I actually kept up with my blogging schedule?
- Write a post on Journalism + being a bookworm. DONE – you can read that post here.
///Most Popular Post ///
Apparently, me admitting I was wrong about not liking certain books is pretty popular.
/// My Favorite Post ///
Being honest is fun, ok?
/// Monthly Stats ///
- Views – 700 views. Fun fact – if you blog consistently, people might read your blog?
- Likes – 116. Wow!
- Followers – 19 new followers!
- Comments – 115 comments. Love chatting with you guys!
I read some amazing blog posts this month!
Some of them really, really made me think. Others made me laugh. Apparently, I really enjoyed discussion posts this month, since I have a lot of favorite discussion posts?
- It’s Lu Again – Lu writes a FANTASTIC post on ARCs. Asking a pretty important question – are they worth it?
- Forever and Everly – Diversity in books – why it matters so much! I really appreciate May’s thoughts on this subject.
- In Search of Dragons – Emma’s discussion post is so thoughtful! On separating the art from the creator. Especially if the creator is controversial, wrong, or just a mess.
- Drizzle and Hurricane Books – Marie chats about blog hopping, What it is, why you should do it, and how to even begin!
Bookish things are the best things to get excited about! And maybe I squeal about this stuff too much?
Cait @ PaperFury – Her book cover! Oh my goodness, it is so gorgeous!!! Who’s preordered this book?
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 20th anniversary editions! Who isn’t thrilled for a whole set of anniversary editions? (Ok, maybe not my bank account)
Adam Silvera’s fantasy book. This guy keeps tweeting his word count progress and I’m getting so excited for his book!
January Goals. Now, while I did amazing with my blogging goals, life things just happened.
Run twice a week – I’ve run 1 mile this month. I need to play catch up in February!
- February Goal – Run 12 miles.
Drink 50 oz of water a day. I’ve managed about 20-30 oz of water a day.
- February Goal – Drink 25 oz of water a day. I need to moderate that a little bit because drinking 30 is just hard to do.
Save some money – Ahem. I didn’t spend as much as I could. But I’m not sure I really saved any?
- February Goal – Save $80
Bullet Journal! Now, I’ve actually managed to start this goal. I made some pretty great charts and graphs in my bullet journal and I’m excited about that.
- February Goal – Stay on top of the bullet journal!
Now for some entirely new goals for February!
- Wake up at 7am every day. I need to stay on track of my sleeping schedule. Much healthier for me. 🙂
- No Spend Challenge – I’m working on spending less than $50 dollars in February.
- Go longer without Facebook. I’ve gone an entire weekend without FB in January. I want to go a whole week in February.
In which I share things that randomly made me squeal.
I’m still over excited about the Greatest Showman. Seeing it was one of the biggest highlights of January. And I break out dancing to the soundtrack at random times throughout my day.
Victoria Season 2. I’ve only seen the first episode, but it promises to be super good!
Ed Sheeran is engaged? So happy for him! Also, I can’t wait for his next album.
I also migrated all my Spotify music to a new account that’s not tied to Facebook. Now I can delate FB without worrying about losing my Spotify playlists.
I had trouble deciding if I should include this in it’s own post, or write it here. Do people want to read a post just dedicated to what I plan on reading??? Since I don’t know, I’ll just include it in my wrap up for this month.
Gemina – Illuminae has me so hyped to read the sequel!
Grant – by Ron Chernow – I just got this book from the library and I can’t wait to devour it. It is so, so heavy!
Simon Vs. the Homosapiens Agenda – ready to check out the hype!!!
Percy Jackson and the Titan’s Curse – Slowing working my way through Rick Riordan’s books by planning on reading one of his books a month.
Pretty Boy Must Die – An ARC review, need to read it in the next couple of days.
How do wrap ups become so long? I could split this into two parts, one dedicated to the past month, and one for the next’s month goals.
But I hate doing 2 posts to talk about goals & accomplishments. It feels like I’m wasting time. Not that I have any better posts planned. Well, maybe I do.
Was this too long? Let me know what you think!
How was your January? Did you read many new books? Have you read The Cruel Prince?
Oh, please share a favorite post you read this month!
What songs have you listened to alot this month? What are you planning on reading in February?